Albertville Virtual Academy
Registration for the Albertville Virtual Academy (AVA) is currently closed. Please check back here for future dates for fall registration.
Information about AVA
Albertville City Schools is excited to offer a virtual learning experience for currently enrolled students in grades 9-12 that are zoned for Albertville City Schools. This option is available for students who wish to receive standards-based instruction in a virtual environment without attending classes in a traditional, face-to-face setting. This instructional model is suitable for highly motivated students who want to engage in educational experiences from home.
After enrollment, students may choose to continue in the traditional learning environment or enroll in virtual learning through AVA. Students will remain enrolled as an Albertville High School student while taking virtual classes through AVA. The virtual curriculum features courses in mathematics, science, language arts, world languages, social studies, and electives. In collaboration with the school counselor, AVA students will have the opportunity to select a virtual pathway to meet their individual learning goals. Students desiring a virtual, non-traditional learning environment are encouraged to apply.
Other helpful information about AVA includes:
- All learning occurs remotely. Learning materials can be accessed anywhere at any time using online learning management systems.
- All instructional materials are pre-recorded and self-paced, allowing flexibility for students.
- Devices will be provided by Albertville City Schools.
- Students are required to have access to internet service.
- Students will receive additional academic support as needed.
- Students must come to campuses for all standardized testing.
- Schedules will follow the home school format (i.e., traditional block or modified block schedule).
- Course schedules will be determined by the home school counselor, who will work with students to ensure a schedule that best fits their academic needs within the virtual learning setting.
- AVA follows the ACS school calendar for all beginning and end dates of the school year, holidays, breaks, and weather days.
- Grades will be reported to the students from AVA and sent to AHS for final reporting.
- Students who graduate from high school while an AVA student will receive a diploma from Albertville City Schools and are eligible for honors graduate designations and participation in ceremony.
- All extracurricular participation must be approved by the local school administrator.
- Approved students can participate in clubs and organizations at AHS.
- Approved students can participate in athletics at AHS but are subject to Alabama High School Athletic Association eligibility.
- Students can participate in any event hosted by AHS that occurs outside of typical school hours (i.e., homecoming events, graduation ceremonies, etc.)
- Students will be required to maintain course grade averages of 70-percent or higher in all courses to remain at AVA.
- At the midway point, students with course averages below 70-percent in all academic courses will be contacted by AVA and school administration to schedule in-person academic support time to address non-mastery of standards.
- At the end of each grading period, students who have not achieved course grade averages of 70-percent will be recommended to return to their traditional learning environment.
- Please be aware that according to guidelines and procedures set by Albertville City Schools, an evaluation of your student's prior academic performance will be conducted to determine eligibility for AVA.
Acceptance and Orientation
Students will be notified of their acceptance to AVA via email by an ACS staff member with instructions for next steps. It's important to provide a valid email address on the application. There will be an in-person orientation for all AVA students and families to answer any questions. The date, time, and location will be sent after your student's enrollment has been approved.
Attendance is a combination of measures that indicates if a student is demonstrating adequate participation in AVA coursework. This not only includes the actual attendance hours in the AVA learning platform but also lesson and assignment completion and communication with teachers/school administration.
To be in full attendance with Albertville City Schools, a student must:
- Complete and submit course assignments in accordance with due dates to make adequate progress toward course completion.
- Communicate with Albertville City School staff as needed via the learning management platform, telephone conversations, and email correspondence.
- Adhere to the Albertville City Schools calendar for attendance days. Students may choose to work on non-instructional days if they are on pace and displaying content proficiency in all courses.
For more information about the Albertville Virtual Academy, contact ACS Administrative Assistant Lesa Davis at (256) 891-1183, ext. 238.